SINGAPORE: The number of workplace deaths in the construction sector rose 27 per cent last year, according to the latest Workplace Safety and Health Statistics Report.
Thirty-three people died while working in the construction sector in 2013 -- more than half of all workplace deaths, totalling 59, for the whole year.
This year, the construction sector has already seen 12 deaths in the first three months alone.
Giving this update at a forum, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Manpower Hawazi Daipi said many of the fatal accidents involved working at heights, cranes and formwork.
The authorities will be focusing on these three areas to raise safety standards and enforce safety rules.
Mr Hawazi said: "These are sobering times that require urgent and concerted action on everyone's part. I think we are here for the same purpose of ensuring safety for our workers and ourselves at our workplaces.
"We need to stem the increasing number of fatal accidents that have beset us. One life lost is one too many." - CNA/ms
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Dutch police heading up the international probe into the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 said Friday that work at the crash site wa... More Dutch police heading up the international probe into the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 said Friday that work at the crash site was likely to take 'at least several more weeks.' Duration: 00:36
Date 4 hrs ago, Duration 0:36, Views 38