SINGAPORE : The wife of the man who became paralysed after a mishap on a walkway testified in court on Tuesday in a negligence suit against Sembawang Town Council.
During cross—examination, the wife of 55—year—old Aw Kian Chow asked the court for "mercy".
An emotional Madam Angeline Zeng said that the accident on 26 August 2008 had robbed her husband of his life and shattered their family situation.
The 43—year—old bank officer said that the walkway between Blocks 415, 415A and 419 at Sembawang Drive would become slippery when it rained.
She added that she had not used the walkway since the accident.
Aw, a former Sembawang resident, is suing Sembawang Town Council for damages after he slipped and fell near his block on the evening of 26 August 2008.
The then freelance accountant became paralysed from his neck down after he fractured his spine.
The family has since moved out of the five—room flat in Sembawang which they had lived in for eight years.
Now a tetraplegic, Aw is seeking compensation for medical expenses, loss of future earnings, pain and suffering.
Aw claimed that Sembawang Town Council did not lay down non—slip material or paint the surface of the walkway to prevent falls.
Also taking the stand was fellow Sembawang resident Norfazli Satle, who was a passer—by at the time of the accident.
26—year—old Norfazli, who works at the Singapore Turf Club, said that the walkway would become very slippery and he would avoid it when it rained.
Norfazli added that he was at the void deck of a block near the walkway when he heard someone crying in pain.
Earlier in the morning, engineer Eng Aik How, who works for TUV SUD PSB, also testified.
Eng, who was responsible for running slip resistance tests on pedestrian walkway surfaces, said results showed there was a "moderate risk of slipping" at the incident site.
The hearing continues on Wednesday.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
A 72-hour ceasefire took effect Friday in Gaza but was immediately threatened in southern Gaza, as heavy shelling of the area ended the brie... More A 72-hour ceasefire took effect Friday in Gaza but was immediately threatened in southern Gaza, as heavy shelling of the area ended the brief respite from violence. Duration: 01:25
Date 24 mins ago, Duration 1:24, Views 0