Channel NewsAsia
Updated: 01/14/2014 10:37 | By Channel NewsAsia

Two found dead in Marina Bay Suites fire

Two found dead in Marina Bay Suites fire

Two found dead in Marina Bay Suites fire

SINGAPORE: A fire broke out at Marina Bay Suites on Monday night, leaving two dead.

Police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said they were alerted at about 10.10pm to an incident at the condominium at 3 Central Boulevard.

On arrival, firefighters found smoke coming from several upper levels and traced the smoke to the 65th-floor.

They encountered heavy smoke and intense heat as they made their way to the floor.

Using breaking tools, they forced entry into the service lift lobby area of the 65th-floor, and found it fully engulfed in flames.

SCDF said its firefighters put out the blaze with three water jets.

They found two charred bodies inside the service lift.

Channel NewsAsia understands the two victims are Ms Sooria Kala, a 34-year-old Malaysian, and Mr Sim Lai Huat, a 58-year-old Singaporean. They were security officers at Marina Bay Suites.

Marina Bay Suites says that in the event of an emergency, like a fire, an alarm will automatically be triggered, and security officers deployed to investigate.

SCDF said the fire had been confined to the service corridor and lift area, and had involved what is believed to be renovation materials.

It said several residents had self-evacuated before the arrival of its officers.

A handful of residents from the 53rd-floor and above were also evacuated by the officers.

Resident Mrs Akmam said she had to walk down 53 flights of stairs, as the lifts were not working.

Other residents said the atmosphere was fairly calm, despite having to wait over four hours outside the building.

Resident Hugh van Bergen said: "We came down when we heard the fire alarm. We sat on the pavement for about 4 to 4-and-a-half hours whilst the fire services went in to deal with the fire.

"It was all fairly calm...We didn't have much information as to what was happening. At the time we were led to believe there were no fatalities."

Residents were allowed to return to their units after 2.30am, when the building was ascertained to be safe.

Police and SCDF said investigations are ongoing.  - CNA/nd/ir

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn