SINGAPORE: Sports fans in Singapore will in for a huge treat next year.
This comes just after the Formula One Grand Prix, where fans will be able to catch the world's best women's tennis players slugging it out in the WTA season-ending championship.
Singapore has been given hosting rights from 2014 to 2018.
After the Australian, French, US Open and Wimbledon, this tournament is seen as the next most prestigious on the calendar.
The announcement made on Wednesday was streamed live on the WTA website.
Come October 2014, eight of the top women singles players and doubles pairs will do battle at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.
At stake is a record prize money of US$6.5 million.
Singapore won the bid after beating cities like Tianjin in China and Mexico's Monterrey.
Organisers have promised a 10-day festival of tennis that's expected to draw fans, especially from the region.
Ms Stacey Allaster, chairman and CEO of WTA, said: "Probably the thing I am most excited about is the fan fest every day, open for free to the public, making this championships accessible for everyone. It is going to be incredible. And finally as our partnership begins with the WTA Championships Singapore, the WTA work to support the Singapore Sports Council Vision 2030 also begins."
One of the reasons the Lion City got the unanimous vote is its growing status as a global sports and entertainment destination.
Mr Andrew Georgiou, CEO of World Sport Group, said: "We are confident through our partnership with the Singapore Tourism Board and the Singapore Sports Council, we will be able to add new elements to this event, to take it forward from where it has previously been and at the end of the fifth year, deliver something back to the WTA which is even better than what we are getting today."
Singapore will feature new events like the WTA Future Stars, WTA Legends exhibition matches, concerts and trade symposiums. - CNA/de
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Prime Minister David Cameron says Britain was ready to "take whatever steps are necessary" to destroy Islamic State militants after they mur... More Prime Minister David Cameron says Britain was ready to "take whatever steps are necessary" to destroy Islamic State militants after they murdered a British aid worker. Duration: 01:20
Date 17 hrs ago, Duration 1:19, Views 260