SINGAPORE: Organisers of the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore have cancelled the five—kilometre race and scaled back the 21—kilometre half marathon race to a maximum of about 10,000 runners.
The measure is taken to ensure that scenes of congestion will not be repeated this year.
Organisers said being certified as a Gold Label race, they are determined to ease congestion issues, ensuring a top—notch experience for running enthusiasts.
Mr Lim Teck Yin, CEO of Singapore Sports Council, said: "First and foremost, there are many 5—kilometre races throughout the running calendar. And if 5—kilometre runners add to the numbers and make it a little more congested, I think we decided in favour of making sure that the 21— and 42—kilometre races are well attended to."
Mr Chan Chun Sing, Acting Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, said: "There will be some other challenges that will crop up every year. But I am confident they have a team in place that will look at the problems seriously and then to find ways to manage the issues as they go along.
"And I think there are many opportunities for us to extend the race beyond what it is now, not just in terms of the number of people. I think we have capped the number of people to ensure a good experience for the runners, but in terms of using the media technology to extend the coverage to allow more people to enjoy the race and to really drum up the buzz in the whole country.
"Last year they had the Gold Label, so I hope it will go from strength to strength, and this year, they will provide an even better running experience for the runners. But beyond the experience for the runners, I think we are looking forward to this event as a platform, have the rest of Singaporeans come out and enjoy the race as a volunteer to cheer the runners and in any other different roles that they can play."
Registration for the event starts on Friday.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
After a recent leak of information about a US security program, NSA officials defended it at a congressional hearing Tuesday, saying the pro... More After a recent leak of information about a US security program, NSA officials defended it at a congressional hearing Tuesday, saying the program had helped thwart over 50 attacks since 9/11.
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 0:52, Views 23