SINGAPORE: Some 6,000 customers have been affected by the closure of Five Stars Tours.
Most had bought tickets for travel to Malaysia during the Lunar New Year period between January 27 and 30.
Express Excursion Bus Association, a tour bus association, has pledged to help up to 40 per cent of these passengers by offering them discounted tickets.
Sebastian Yap, spokesperson for Express Excursion Bus Association, said: "Most of our member operators, in fact, their capacities are already full.
"If we are going to have additional coaches to bring them back, the cost, at least, will be double. As a result, we are not going to make extra money."
A Five Stars Tours branch at Golden Mile Complex put up a notice saying it would return customers' passports by registered mail.
It also advised those with travel insurance to seek compensation with their respective companies.
The Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) said it has received at least 257 complaints related to the closure.
Separately, 96 former workers of Five Stars Tours gave their statements at the Manpower Ministry on Thursday.
Some said they had not been getting full salaries since November last year.
Also at the Ministry were nine workers from Canto Kitchen who filed salary claims.
The two companies are run by the same director. - CNA/gn
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Former US intelligence operative Edward Snowden and fellow fugitive WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange joined forces Monday to attack the New ... More Former US intelligence operative Edward Snowden and fellow fugitive WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange joined forces Monday to attack the New Zealand government, accusing it of mass surveillance on its people. Duration: 01:02
Date 16 mins ago, Duration 1:02, Views 0