SINGAPORE: The Do Not Call (DNC) Registry rules took effect on Thursday, and some 400,000 unique numbers have been registered as at 4pm.
Companies are taking the new rules seriously, with 95 firms checking through 13 million phone numbers as of Thursday afternoon.
These include repeated numbers.
The checks are to ensure that marketing messages are not sent to consumers who have indicated they do not wish to receive them.
The Personal Data Protection Commission (PDPC) said it takes companies an average of 20 minutes to check their lists against phone numbers in the registry.
Leong Keng Thai, chairman of PDPC, said: "We received about 20 enquiries through calls and emails of sorts. Of those, two of them we found to be valid complaints, which I think is not too bad for the first day."
The complaints are about marketers who sent consumers text messages even after they had registered with the Registry in December.
The PDPC said it receives several thousands of registrants per day since registration started in December last year.
It is easy to register. Consumers can do so online, call a toll free number, or send an SMS using their mobile phones.
Of the 400,000 numbers registered so far, 75 per cent had chosen to block out marketing messages coming from phone calls, SMSes and fax.
The Commission said it is not setting any targets for the Registry.
Mr Leong said: "If you set up a DNC, it's really to create an option, several options for consumers to decide whether they want to put the numbers on the Registry. It's really meant for consumers to exercise their choice."
The Commission said it will continue to monitor developments to ensure companies comply with the new rules.
Companies that flout the rules will be notified of the complaint and advised to stop sending messages to registrants.
The Commission will also investigate valid complaints within three months. Offenders can be fined up to S$10,000. - CNA/gn
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The search for scores of passengers still missing from South Korea's ferry disaster enters a second week, to the deepening distress of their... More The search for scores of passengers still missing from South Korea's ferry disaster enters a second week, to the deepening distress of their grieving, angry and frustrated families. Duration: 01:30
Date 6 mins ago, Duration 1:29, Views 0