SINGAPORE: The nine—year—old boy who died in a road accident in Melbourne was on Wednesday laid to rest in a local cemetery.
The funeral ceremony was conducted at the Preston Mosque and the burial was done at the Fawkner Cemetery, about 15 kilometres from Melbourne city.
The boy’s father, 47—year—old Fauzy Aman, attended the funeral wearing the hospital garb of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he is believed to be currently receiving treatment.
Two of the boy’s aunts flew in from Singapore to be at the side of his mother, 44—year—old Madam Zuleeza Suri.
Besides them, there were about 150 people, mostly from the Singapore Malay—Muslim community. Most of them were not previously acquainted with the victims.
A representative from the High Commission of Singapore in Australia was also present at the burial.
A Singaporean in Melbourne, Rosela Saad, said: "I can see that the mother of the child Madam Zuleeza Suri ... were in extreme grief and distress, but at the same time she kept her composure, just enough to give her family some kind of assurance and strength that life must actually go on."
Mdm Zuleeza and Mr Fauzy are still praying that their two other children, aged 12 and 15, involved in the same accident will recover soon.
Both suffered head injuries and are in serious condition at the Royal Children’s Hospital.
The Singapore Malay—Muslim community in Melbourne has been rallying around the victims to help in any way possible.
"There were even people I heard, who offered their homes for the visiting family members to stay while they are in Melbourne. So, this kind of assistance and support, mentally, emotionally and monetary I could say, really brings the best out of people," Ms Rosela said.
"There are also plans to raise as much funds to the family to assist them in this very hard moment and we hope that can be done as soon as possible."
Monday’s accident is the second recent incident involving Singaporeans driving overseas.
Last week, a couple on their honeymoon, died in a two—car crash in Auckland, New Zealand.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Nearly 50,000 people march to Sao Paulo's City Hall to protest against the World Cup 2014 costs, prompting president Dilma Rousseff to trave... More Nearly 50,000 people march to Sao Paulo's City Hall to protest against the World Cup 2014 costs, prompting president Dilma Rousseff to travel immediately to the city.
Date 11 mins ago, Duration 0:50, Views 0