Channel NewsAsia
Updated: 01/22/2013 04:57 | By Channel NewsAsia

NUS law prof claims he cried, pleaded with CPIB deputy director

NUS law prof claims he cried, pleaded with CPIB deputy director

NUS law prof claims he cried, pleaded with CPIB deputy director

SINGAPORE: The National University of Singapore (NUS) law professor defending himself in his sex—for—grades corruption trial said he cried and pleaded with the anti—graft bureau’s Deputy Director Teng Khee Fatt.

Tey Tsun Hang, 41, told the court on the eighth day of the trial that he had sobbed and at one point, even knelt in front of Mr Teng.

The former district judge faces allegations of obtaining gratification in the form of gifts and sex from former student Darinne Ko, in return for giving her better grades between May and July 2010.

Tey said he repeatedly pleaded with Mr Teng to show key prosecution witness, Ms Darinne Ko, two cheque book entries belonging to Tey, to indicate that he repaid Ms Ko the money for the gifts in the first four charges.

But Mr Teng said firmly that Tey did no such thing.

Tey also charged that he had not requested to see Mr Teng on 5 April last year.

This was one of a few requests Tey had apparently made to CPIB officers to meet Mr Teng.

But the prosecution witness said that is also not true.

Tey also tried to poke holes at the time stamp recorded on the statements on the three occasions Mr Teng recorded his statements.

He tendered three taxi receipts in court indicating he left the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) later than the time recorded on the statements.

The former district judge was making the point that the statements were inaccurate and that his statements were made under duress.

But Mr Teng disagreed. Under the prosecution’s questioning, Mr Teng also admitted that he had forgotten to include two meetings he had with Tey alone in his office.

Earlier in the day, four other CPIB officers took to the stand. When it came to Tey’s turn to cross—examine them, he said he had no questions for the officers as he was "intensely traumatised" and had "sparse memory" of the events mentioned in their testimony.

The court heard that Tey kept saying "it’s so shameful" on the day he was picked up by the CPIB on 2 April last year.

CPIB officer, Mr Michael Oh, told the court on Monday morning that Tey, with his head hung low, was sobbing in the interview room.

Mr Oh, the prosecution’s ninth witness, also gave an account of the events leading to Tey’s hospitalisation that same day.

When it was Tey’s turn to cross—examine the witness, Tey said he had no questions.

He told the court that the events on 2 April was too traumatising and that he did not recognise the witness.

He did the same thing for the other three CPIB officers — prosecution’s 10th witness, Mr Raymond Wee, the 11th witness, Thomas Cheo, and the 12th witness, Hasvind Elangovan.

The trial continues on Tuesday.

— CNA/xq

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn