SINGAPORE: The National Environment Agency (NEA) has suspended the operations of a Chinese restaurant at Intercontinental Hotel with effect from Thursday.
This follows five reported incidents of suspected food poisoning that occurred during wedding and company functions held in late December 2012.
The first incident was reported to the authorities on 29 December 2012 and the second on 1 January 2013. The other three incidents were detected through subsequent investigations by the authorities.
The Ministry of Health (MOH) and NEA have conducted three joint inspections at the restaurant which served the five functions. Epidemiological investigations are on—going.
The common food source for all five functions was the hotel’s Man Fu Yuan Restaurant which provides the Chinese banquet meals for functions held in the hotel.
NEA says to date, there are over 200 cases reportedly affected. The cases sought outpatient treatment and no one was hospitalised. The cases experienced diarrhoea, vomiting and fever.
MOH and NEA say the suspension of Man Fu Yuan Restaurant will be lifted when no more food poisoning cases surface.
NEA says it will work with the operator to review the food preparation processes, its food supply chain, as well as food handling practices of its food handlers.
Other food outlets at the hotel which were not linked to the food poisoning incidents have been allowed to continue operating.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Male Afghan university students demonstrate against the Elimination of Violence against Women bill on which lawmakers postponed debate on Sa... More Male Afghan university students demonstrate against the Elimination of Violence against Women bill on which lawmakers postponed debate on Saturday. Duration: 00:42
Date 8 mins ago, Duration 0:42, Views 0