More than half of fires last year due to lighted materials
Careless disposal of lighted materials was the highest contributing cause of fires last year, according to statistics from the Singapore Civil Defence Force.
These included lighted cigarette butts, embers from charcoal, lighted incense sticks and matchsticks.
They caused 53.5 per cent - or 2,400 out of nearly 4,500 fires last year.
There was a slight increase of 15 fires in 2012, compared to the total number of fires in 2011.
Another area of concern - rubbish and items discarded at residential premises.
These accounted for a quarter of residential fires last year.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
French climber Alain Robert, also known as 'Spiderman', scales the Galaxy Macau hotel during a promotional event for the new Spider-Man 2 mo... More French climber Alain Robert, also known as 'Spiderman', scales the Galaxy Macau hotel during a promotional event for the new Spider-Man 2 movie. Duration: 01:27
Date 14 mins ago, Duration 1:27, Views 0