MOM to push for stiffer penalties against safety breaches at worksites
The Manpower Ministry, or MOM, will push for stronger penalties against employers who seriously breach safety and health regulations at workplaces.
Speaking during the ministry's Committee of Supply debate, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Manpower, Hawazi Daipi, says the penalties may come in the form of higher fines and custodial sentences.
He adds that enforcement tools such as Stop Work Orders will be also be tightened.
"For example, companies will have to resolve safety lapses and conduct compulsory refresher training in the key problem areas before the Stop Work Order imposed on them can be lifted."
Mr Hawazi says the construction sector continues to be the main contributor to workplace fatalities.
In the first two months of this year alone, there were 9 deaths at construction sites, compared to 7 deaths in the whole of last year.
Mr Hawazi says falls from heights is the top cause of accidents at construction sites.
To deal with this, he says the second phase of regulations for workplace safety at heights will come into effect in May.
The new regulations will cover all workplaces.
MORE 938LIVE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Protesters against the former cricket star and populist cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri gathered in Islamabad on Friday. Duration: 00:50
Date 26 mins ago, Duration 0:49, Views 0