SINGAPORE: An Indian student who was left fighting for her life after being gang—raped in New Delhi has arrived at Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital for further treatment.
The patient arrived at the hospital’s Intensive Care Unit at 9.05am in extremely critical condition, said the hospital’s spokesperson on Thursday.
The hospital is working with the Indian High Commission, and has requested that the privacy of the patient and the family be respected.
In a separate statement, the Indian High Commission said it has received numerous queries regarding the condition of the patient and also many offers of assistance.
It said it is deeply grateful for the offers and assured all concerned that the patient is receiving full medical attention. The family is also being provided all possible assistance.
The High Commission added that it is in close touch with hospital authorities, and urged that the privacy of the patient, family members and the medical team in attendance be fully respected so that treatment may continue smoothly.
The 23—year—old patient, whose attack sparked protests across India, had been transferred from the Safdarjung hospital in central Delhi to Medanta hospital in Gurgaon, close to the city’s international airport, before being flown to Singapore.
"The decision was taken this morning at cabinet," a source at Safdarjung told AFP early Thursday. "Her mother and father are with her."
The government had earlier announced it was setting up a special commission of inquiry after the gang—rape on December 16 when the woman was allegedly tricked into boarding a bus by six men who then took turns to assault her.
The group also attacked her with an iron bar before throwing her out of the vehicle, along with a male companion.
Six suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack and have been remanded in custody.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
London Mayor Boris Johnson outlined his infrastructure plan for the British capital over the next 50 years on Wednesday, with a focus on how... More London Mayor Boris Johnson outlined his infrastructure plan for the British capital over the next 50 years on Wednesday, with a focus on how to cope with a population expected to reach 11 million. Duration: 00:57
Date 5 mins ago, Duration 0:56, Views 0