SINGAPORE: A company conducting recovery work at the Jurong rig which tilted last month, has been asked to stop work. This follows the death on Sunday of 50—year—old Teo Kok Kee, who was working on board.
The company, Belfor Asia, told Channel NewsAsia that Mr Teo probably died of heart failure as the cause of death has been identified as a blockage of the artery.
The Manpower Ministry, together with Jurong Shipyard, are investigating the incident.
Following the accident on December 30, Jurong Shipyard was instructed to review their Risk Assessment and Safe Work Procedures for recovery works. This review is on—going.
Belfor Asia’s Project Manager, Somsai Kungsuwun, said the company is cooperating with the authorities.
He also clarified some media reports regarding the case. Mr Somsai said the late Mr Teo did not slip and fall as he was well—secured while performing the works.
There were at least two other workers around him when he collapsed, and there was also no presence of hazardous gases in the working area.
Mr Somchai said recovery work was to have been completed on January 6.
As a result of the oil rig tilt on December 3, some equipment on the rig was underwater.
Belfor Asia was to clean the equipment with fresh water and use a preservation agent to stop any further corrosion.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
An 8-year-old Cuban boy who collects photos and books of Fidel Castro becomes a celebrity in the island after the former Cuban president inv... More An 8-year-old Cuban boy who collects photos and books of Fidel Castro becomes a celebrity in the island after the former Cuban president invites him to his house. Duration: 00:55
Date 7 hrs ago, Duration 0:55, Views 83