Baseline funding formula changed in review of funding for independent schools, says Education Ministry.
The Education Ministry says a newspaper report today which says that six top independent schools in Singapore have had their funding cut is "inaccurate."
Responding to media queries, MOE says it regularly reviews the funding to schools to ensure it is adequate, and that resources are well-spent.
And arising from its review of funding for the independent schools, MOE says six received additional funding, while four had their funding trimmed.
Of the six schools, three will be getting five per cent more this year compared to 2013, the other three will get between one to three per cent more.
As for the four schools with reduced funding, MOE says this will be by no more than three per cent.
In its report, The Straits Times had said "six top independent schools in Singapore have had their funding cut and, along with other mission schools, have been told to moderate fund-raising activities for campus upgrading."
Elaborating on the funding review, MOE says this round had focused on the baseline funding formula.
Previously, every independent school received the same amount of grant per student.
The Ministry says this resulted in schools with large enrolments receiving disproportionately high funding.
Hence the new funding formula with both a fixed and variable component, which is more equitable.
On the issue of fundraising, MOE says it appreciates the generous donations by stakeholders and the community.
However, it has also received feedback on the burden of fundraising placed on parents, students and other stakeholders.
Hence its advice to schools to moderate their fundraising activities and to take into consideration the cost of operating any additional facilities.
MOE says it already invests significantly in the infrastructure of each school.
And it will continue to approve fundraising requests by all schools based on the educational merits of each request.
MORE 938LIVE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The offices of a local pro-Ukrainian newspaper "Pro Gorod" in Torez, 80 km south-east of the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, were set on ... More The offices of a local pro-Ukrainian newspaper "Pro Gorod" in Torez, 80 km south-east of the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk, were set on fire during Thursday night, several months after the paper's chief was attacked. Duration: 00:53
Date 10 hrs ago, Duration 0:53, Views 39