SINGAPORE: The Singaporean driver involved in last month’s horrific road accident in Australia said his family is still reeling from the traumatic incident.
Mr Fauzy Aman, 47, spoke to Channel NewsAsia in a phone interview.
His family of six, including his wife and four boys, were travelling from Sydney to Melbourne on June 18 when their van smashed into a tree on the highway.
The crash killed Mr Fauzy’s youngest son.
He was buried in Melbourne two days later.
On that day, the family started off just after 7am, after what Mr Fauzy called a "well—rested" night.
"When I made my way after my prayers in the morning, had my coffee, so I set out after 7am. I was driving slowly but there was this thick fog that morning and after that I do not know what happened. I can’t remember," Mr Fauzy said.
He said his wife, Madam Zuleeza Suri, does not recall much of the incident either.
He added that she was trying to wipe the screen on the passenger side because of the fog.
He also addressed speculation that they weren’t wearing seat belts at the time of the accident.
"My wife has always been the one who made sure everybody is (wearing) seat belts and we’ve been travelling quite a lot in the past few years and she has been the one to make sure that everybody put on seat belts," he said.
As for his wife and three sons who survived the accident, he said: "My wife and I are recovering from our injuries. We were discharged last week and my wife just underwent an operation. I think she broke one of her thumbs.
"My 16—year—old son was discharged last week and now he’s recuperating while my 12—year—old son has just been discharged from ICU and is now in the normal ward."
He said doctors told him it would take a few months for them to make full recovery.
And he’s waiting for Victoria Police to contact him.
Last week, the Major Collision Investigation Unit told Channel NewsAsia it will most likely get in touch with Mr Fauzy sometime this week to get his statement.
He has also expressed gratitude to all who have chipped in to help.
Donations have poured in from Singapore and the Malay community in Melbourne.
"From home, there have been a few people who’ve come forward and passed me the donations. It’s mainly from my wife’s employer — NTU. They gave it to other representatives who passed it to me in Melbourne a few days back.
"And also from my brother’s working place. They’ve also donated a sum of money.
"Other than that, from what I know, NTU is also having their own donation drive, but my wife is yet to get (it) from them. Relatives, friends have (also) been donating," said Mr Fauzy.
He also thanked Singapore’s Foreign Affairs Ministry for rendering assistance to him.
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
After a recent leak of information about a US security program, NSA officials defended it at a congressional hearing Tuesday, saying the pro... More After a recent leak of information about a US security program, NSA officials defended it at a congressional hearing Tuesday, saying the program had helped thwart over 50 attacks since 9/11.
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:52, Views 1