An inquiry into October's SingTel Bukit Panjang exchange fire reveals its findings
An independent Board Committee of Inquiry has concluded that hot works carried out during maintenance was the most probable cause of a fire at the SingTel Bukit Panjang exchange in October.
The BCOI says an employee had used an unauthorised blowtorch that was almost twice as hot as that as a SingTel standard issue blowtorch.
And this most likely caused localised overheating, resulting in the fire.
BCOI Chairman Bobby Chin says the inquiry found shortcomings in SingTel's fire safety practices that require immediate rectification.
But he says a technical expert has affirmed that the network has a high degree of resiliency.
SingTel's management has accepted the BCOI's findings and says it is committed to implementing its recomendations.
The fire disrupted several commercial services, as well as services to 60,000 SingTel home broadband users.
Two-thirds of the fibre optic cables damaged in the fire belonged to OpenNet, the national fibre broadband network builder.
And as StarHub and M1 buy wholesale fibre links from OpenNet, their home fibre broadband services were also disrupted.
MORE 938LIVE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu Wednesday celebrated 20 years of freedom in South Africa as a "heck of an achievement", while confirming t... More Nobel peace laureate Desmond Tutu Wednesday celebrated 20 years of freedom in South Africa as a "heck of an achievement", while confirming that he would not vote for the ruling party in upcoming elections. Duration: 01:05
Date 30 mins ago, Duration 1:04, Views 0