All buildings to get NGNBN access within 9 months: Yaacob
Buildings currently not covered by fibre optics should enjoy the service within the next nine months.
This would give all users in Singapore the option of high-speed connectivity to the Internet under the Next Generation Nationwide Broadband Network project.
Since the launch of fibre services 2 years ago, close to 19% of households have subscribed to the service.
Currently, fibre services are available in 95% of homes and businesses.
But for the remaining 5%, the roll-out is taking longer than expected.
To meet the new 9-month target, OpenNet - who is responsible for operating Singapore's fibre platform - has already increased its capacity by about 50%.
Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim, elaborates.
"Beyond the 95% mark, the areas that they have to cover is very very wide, and so it's not possible for them to cover each area with the same speed and frequency as we expect for the 95% rollout. But certainly we continue to press OpenNet to ensure that they can rollout remaining 5% as soon as possible."
MORE SINGAPORE NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda presents his film "Like Father, Like Son" at the Cannes film festival, the story of two families who fall... More Japanese director Hirokazu Koreeda presents his film "Like Father, Like Son" at the Cannes film festival, the story of two families who fall victim to a baby swap. Duration: 01:35
Date 9 hrs ago, Duration 1:35, Views 10