US hypnotist Scott Lewis dies in Australia balcony plunge
Australian police pictured in Sydney in June 2012
Scott Lewis, a hypnotist-entertainer with a long-running Las Vegas show, fell to his death from a balcony in Sydney's Goldsbrough Mort apartment block on Friday night, according to widespread local media reports.
Lewis was visiting Australia as part of the Illusionists 2.0 magic troupe, performing at the Sydney Opera House. The venue confirmed his death in a joint statement with the production company.
"The company is deeply saddened by the sudden loss of Dr Lewis," said producer Tim Lawson.
"The entire company has decided to continue the show in his honour, and send our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends."
Added the Opera House: "We wish to express our deepest sympathies to Dr Lewis' family and friends, as well as to the cast and crew of The Illusionists 2.0."
"Dr Lewis was a wonderful performer and he will be greatly missed."
According to the Daily Telegraph newspaper, Lewis's body was found on a fourth-floor balcony, seven floors below his apartment, on Saturday morning after he failed to join the company bus for an 11:00 am matinee performance at the Opera House.
Lewis was dead when police and ambulance crews arrived.
His death is not being treated as suspicious, but police are investigating whether he fell while trying to climb to another balcony.
Saturday's matinee was cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances", but a later show went on as scheduled at 7:00 pm.
At the conclusion of the Saturday evening performance, the remaining six Illusionists cast members informed the audience that Lewis had died and shared a tearful tribute to his life.
"Today is a very sad day for us. We lost a performer," they said.
Lewis performed in Las Vegas for nine years and was, according to his website, a licensed chiropractor and clinical hypnotherapist.
He wrote two books and was a motivational speaker and consultant as well as entertainer.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
As Boston prepares to hold its first marathon since the attack on last year's event, in which three people were killed and over 260 wounded,... More As Boston prepares to hold its first marathon since the attack on last year's event, in which three people were killed and over 260 wounded, the US city faces numerous security challenges. Duration: 02:32
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 2:31, Views 15