Updated: 03/01/2014 00:18 | By Agence France-Presse

Tycoon Li backs press freedom after attack on Hong Kong editor

Influential Hong Kong tycoon Li Ka-shing on Friday condemned a brutal attack on a veteran journalist and warned the territory will suffer serious harm if it loses press freedom.


Tycoon Li backs press freedom after attack on Hong Kong editor

A protester joins a demonstration on February 27, 2014 in support of the former editor of a liberal Hong Kong newspaper who was attacked by two men - by Philippe Lopez

Li, who is Asia's richest person, joined a chorus of dismay over Wednesday's attack on Kevin Lau, who is being treated in hospital after being hacked with a cleaver in broad daylight.

A new alliance of journalist and news organisations plans to stage a rally Sunday to condemn a string of violent attacks against the media which have stoked concerns for freedom of expression in the southern Chinese city.

"Violence can in no way be right. No matter what, the rule of law is the most important (aspect) in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is nothing without rule of law," Li said at a press conference held as his conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa announced financial results.

Appearing solemn and concerned, he said press freedom "is our core value. If Hong Kong does not have press freedom, Hong Kong will face huge losses."

Li, an 85-year-old self-made figure who is worth $32 billion and rarely comments on political matters, is considered pro-Beijing and has criticised pro-democracy campaigns in the past.

The attack on Lau, former editor of the liberal Ming Pao newspaper, has drawn condemnation from the United States and the European Union, as fears grow that Beijing is tightening its grip 17 years after the city was handed over from Britain to China. 

Lau was removed as editor at the Ming Pao daily last month, triggering protests by staff who feared that replacing him with an editor from Malaysia seen as pro-Beijing was an attempt to stifle the paper's strong track record of investigative reporting.

Authorities said Friday that Lau, who was left fighting for his life with multiple deep wounds, is slowly improving and has regained consciousness.

"His situation has improved from critical to serious this morning," a government spokesman told AFP.

An investigation is under way to track down the perpetrators. The South China Morning Post said Friday that anti-triad detectives were tapping their networks of "snitches" associated with the crime gangs for leads.

"Every information on the payroll is being tapped for information. No stone is being left unturned," the paper quoted an unnamed police source as saying. 

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn

NEWS VIDEOS

MORE NEWS VIDEOS

facebook recommendations

LIVE NEWS RADIO STREAMING

  • 938 Live

    938LIVE is Singapore's only English news and talk station which transmits round the clock with an engaging and enticing spread of programmes on current affairs, health, business and lifestyle as well as news every half hour until midnight.

  • Capital 958


    95.8FM城市频道的前身是"第三广播网"。上个世纪30年代末,新加坡就有中文广播,一路走来经过不少政治,社会局势的改变,中文广播在本地一直扮演举足轻重的角色。