Three H7N9 cases in same Chinese family
A poultry market in Guiyang, southwest China's Guizhou province, pictured April 16, 2013 - by -
A couple and their daughter in Hangzhou, the capital of the eastern province of Zhejiang, were infected one after another, Xinhua said late Tuesday, without giving further details.
Health authorities are investigating, it added.
China's human H7N9 outbreak began in February 2013 and sparked fears the virus could mutate to become easily transmissible between people, potentially triggering a pandemic.
Both Chinese authorities and the World Health Organization (WHO) have said there has been no evidence so far of sustained human-to-human transmission.
But limited spread, such as between relatives in close contact, is possible, and there have been previous such family clusters.
So far this year, China has confirmed 110 human H7N9 cases, including 22 deaths, according to an AFP tally of reports by local authorities.
By comparison there were 144 infections and 46 deaths in all of 2013, according to official figures.
Hong Kong on Wednesday reported its third death from H7N9 -- an elderly man who had visited mainland China -- a day after authorities culled 22,000 birds to curb the disease.
The 75-year-old man had previously travelled to the neighbouring city of Shenzhen and died Wednesday morning, a Department of Health spokesman said.
The WHO said the spike in cases this year was not surprising due to seasonal factors, rather than a virus mutation.
"Today there is no evidence that the characteristics of the virus have changed in a way that would explain an increase in cases and change in case fatality," WHO Representative in China Bernhard Schwartländer told AFP in an email.
Zhejiang alone has seen 53 cases this year, almost half the national total, and 12 deaths.
Local authorities are to permanently ban live poultry markets in major cities, according to reports in official media.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Bolivian President Evo Morales presents a submission to the International Court of Justice to be given access to the Pacific Ocean through C... More Bolivian President Evo Morales presents a submission to the International Court of Justice to be given access to the Pacific Ocean through Chile. Duration: 00:45
Date 5 mins ago, Duration 0:45, Views 0