South Korea soldiers charged over death of conscript
South Korean soldiers march during a ceremony in Chuncheon, South Korea on June 22, 2013 - by Jung Yeon-Je
The case comes on the back of two separate suicides by army privates last weekend, and a deadly shooting spree last month in which a sergeant killed five members of his unit for taunting him.
The five detained men allegedly assaulted a 23-year-old private in April, striking him in the chest and causing a chunk of food to get lodged in his airway.
The soldier, identified by his surname Yoon, died of asphyxiation.
"The five were all charged with manslaughter," an army spokesman told AFP.
Investigators said Yoon had been the target of regular bullying, including sessions of crude water-boarding.
He had also been forced to eat a tube of toothpaste and lick the spit of other soldiers from the ground.
Barrack-room bullying has long tainted South Korea's military service, which is mandatory for all able-bodied men between the ages of 18-35.
Conscripts, most in their early twenties, account for the lion's share of the military's 690,000 active personnel.
Experts say the pressures facing the young servicemen can be daunting when, after what is often quite a cosseted childhood and teenaged youth, they are suddenly plunged into a world of harsh military discipline.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Advances by the Islamic State jihadist group, and their brutal beheading of two Lebanese soldiers, have sown fear in Lebanon but also bred a... More Advances by the Islamic State jihadist group, and their brutal beheading of two Lebanese soldiers, have sown fear in Lebanon but also bred a strain of dark humour mocking the group. Duration: 01:53
Date 15 mins ago, Duration 1:53, Views 0