S. Korea, US start military drill despite North threats
South Korean Marines exit an amphibious assault vehicle during a joint landing operation by US and South Korean Marines in Pohang, South Korea on March 31, 2014 - by Jung Yeon-Je
The beginning of the "Ulchi Freedom Guardian" exercise, which will last until August 29, came as Pope Francis led a mass for inter-reconciliation in Seoul at the end of the five-day trip to South Korea.
Although largely played out on computers, the drill involves tens of thousands of South Korean and US soldiers and is aimed at testing combat readiness for a North Korean invasion.
According to the South Korean Defence Ministry, this year's drill will, for the first time, simulate the response to a nuclear attack threat, using a strategy of "tailored" deterrence developed last year at annual South Korea-US defence talks.
North Korea has repeatedly called for the exercise to be cancelled, and last week its military joint chiefs of staff threatened to "mercilessly open the strongest... pre-emptive strike" if it goes ahead.
South Korean officials said its military would be on a heightened state of alert during the exercise.
"If the North commits a provocative act, we would retaliate strongly", a high-ranking military official told journalists.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The number of Ebola infections will triple to 20,000 by November, soaring by thousands every week if efforts to stop the outbreak are not st... More The number of Ebola infections will triple to 20,000 by November, soaring by thousands every week if efforts to stop the outbreak are not stepped up radically, the WHO warned in a study on Tuesday. Duration: 01:01
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:00, Views 15