Police fire tear gas as Indonesia court rules on poll challenge
Indonesian anti-riot police move in to arrest supporters of presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto as they try to pass a blockade near the constitutional court in Jakarta on August 21, 2014 - by Bay Ismoyo
As judges at the Constitutional Court started reading the lengthy verdict to Prabowo Subianto's challenge of an election won by Joko Widodo, which could take several hours, police responded to a thousands-strong crowd with force.
The protesters tried to force their way past lines of riot police and barbed wire blocking the road to the court, prompting officers to fire multiple volleys of tear gas and water cannon into the crowd.
Protesters tried to climb over the wire and drive through with trucks, and about 100 managed to get past the barricade before police started firing, an AFP reporter at the scene said.
Some police chased supporters away and hit them with batons. It lasted only a few minutes and the crowd dispersed afterwards, although protesters started gathering at the same site again shortly afterwards.
"We warned them, but the demonstrators did not stop so we had to force them to disperse," said Jakarta police spokesman Rikwanto, who like many Indonesians goes by one name.
He said the crowd had been about 5,000-strong. Three people were injured when the protesters were dispersed, and four people have been arrested.
While Prabowo continues to insist he has won, independent analysts expect the nine-judge panel to reject his challenge. The verdict cannot be appealed.
Both Prabowo, a top military figure in the era of dictator Suharto with a chequered human rights record, and Widodo, the reform-minded governor of Jakarta, declared victory at the July 9 election.
But official results released after a two-week count across the vast archipelago showed Widodo won a decisive, six-point victory after the hardest-fought, most polarising election since authoritarian rule ended in 1998.
- Unconvincing evidence -
The 53-year-old, who won legions of fans with his down-to-earth approach as Jakarta governor and is known by his nickname Jokowi, is the country's first leader from outside the political and military elites.
But Prabowo -- who has been seeking the presidency for a decade -- has refused to accept the results and his team filed a lengthy complaint against the election commission with the Constitutional Court, which has the final say on poll disputes.
His team say fraud occurred at tens of thousands of polling stations, and that election officials failed to order recounts in numerous places where they should have.
But evidence presented by Prabowo's team has not been regarded as convincing.
The huge team of lawyers for Prabowo, now a wealthy businessman, has been left red-faced at times by unconvincing witness testimony.
One witness claimed to be a village girl from the mountains who supported Prabowo -- only for it to emerge later she held a senior position with the ex-general's party in eastern Papua province.
Legal challenges were also mounted after Indonesia's two previous direct presidential elections, in 2004 and 2009, and both failed.
Security was tight for the announcement, with around 4,000 police on duty at the court.
Another 30,000 security personnel, including soldiers and police, were deployed around the capital, while a total of 250,000 police were on duty across the vast archipelago.
There have been concerns about the Constitutional Court's impartiality after its former chief justice was jailed in June for accepting bribes to sway his rulings in regional election disputes.
But analysts believe that the court will be desperate to appear clean following the recent scandal.
Even if he loses, Prabowo has pledged to fight on, telling supporters this week that "our struggle has just started". But observers believe he has no other realistic options left to challenge the result.
A loss for Prabowo in court would clear the way for Widodo to focus on forming his administration and formulating policy before his October 20 inauguration.
He has already set up a "transition team" to shape policy and pick his cabinet, and asked the public to suggest who they would like to be ministers in an online poll.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The number of Ebola infections will triple to 20,000 by November, soaring by thousands every week if efforts to stop the outbreak are not st... More The number of Ebola infections will triple to 20,000 by November, soaring by thousands every week if efforts to stop the outbreak are not stepped up radically, the WHO warned in a study on Tuesday. Duration: 01:01
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:00, Views 15