Pakistan court reinstates Zaka Ashraf as cricket chief
Zaka Ashraf speaks during a press conference in Dubai on September 10, 2012 - by Aamir Qureshi
Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had sacked Ashraf on February 10 this year and appointed a committee chaired by Najam Sethi to oversee cricketing matters.
Saturday's order meant all decisions taken by Sethi are now null and void -- including the appointments of head coach Waqar Younis and Zimbabwean batting coach Grant Flower.
It is the third time Ashraf has been reinstated since May last year.
Judge Noorul Haq Qureshi heard around 25 petitions from the employees of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) who were sacked by Sethi, and read out his decision in the court.
Ashraf's lawyer Karim Kundi said the court decided to revert to the situation of February 10.
"The notification of February 10 has been struck down as null and void as it was illegal, and as natural consequences Ashraf and other board staff who were superceded by the order are reinstated," Kundi told AFP.
Ashraf hailed Saturday's decision.
"This is a win for Pakistan cricket," Ashraf told Pakistani media. "I will try to correct the wrong things in Pakistan cricket and do whatever is good for Pakistan cricket."
The Sethi-led committee and Pakistan's Ministry of Inter Provincial Coordination, which oversees sporting matters in the country, are likely to challenge the decision next week.
The same Islamabad court had suspended Ashraf in May last year, ruling his election "dubious". Sethi was appointed PCB chairman in June.
Ashraf appealed against the decision and was reinstated on January 15 this year, before Sharif again sacked him a month later.
The frequent changes have made Pakistan the laughing stock of international cricket.
The Supreme Court earlier this year refrained from taking the case ahead, suggesting that the government has the authority to initiate changes within the PCB.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 1,500 people across West Africa spread to a fifth country in the region on Friday with the firs... More The Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 1,500 people across West Africa spread to a fifth country in the region on Friday with the first confirmed case of the deadly virus in Senegal. Duration: 00:39
Date 10 mins ago, Duration 0:39, Views 0