Updated: 02/14/2014 13:44 | By Agence France-Presse

North, South Korea wrap up rare, high-level talks

The rival Koreas wrapped up a second round of high-level talks on Friday aimed at securing a planned reunion for divided families despite the North's objection to overlapping South Korea-US military drills.


North, South Korea wrap up rare, high-level talks

South Korean soldiers stand guard at the truce village of Panmunjom, in the demilitarised zone dividing two Koreas, on April 23, 2013 - by Kim Jae-Hwan

The South's Unification Ministry confirmed the meeting in the border truce village of Panmunjom had ended after two relatively short sessions, but gave no immediate details of the outcome.

A first round was held at Panmunjom on Wednesday and marked the highest level North-South talks for seven years.

South Korea wanted the North to guarantee that a planned reunion for relatives divided by the 1950-53 Korean War would take place as scheduled at the North's Mount Kumgang resort from February 20-25.

North Korea had insisted that the South must postpone the February 24 start of its annual military drills with the United States until after the reunion is over.

The talks were the first substantive follow-up to statements by the leaders of both countries -- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye and the North's Kim Jong-Un -- professing a desire for improved inter-Korean ties.

An eventual compromise on the overlapping family reunions and military drills could signal a willingness to explore other, far more contentious issues, according to Robert Carlin, a former US State Department official and contributor to the closely-followed North Korea-dedicated website, 38 North.

"When they want to be -— which unfortunately is not all that often -— both sides are capable of imaginative solutions to what, at first, look to be intractable problems," Carlin said in post on the website.

There had already been signs of a shift in position at Wednesday's first round, with the North's demand that the annual South Korea-US exercises be postponed.

North Korea routinely condemns the drills as provocative rehearsals for war, and its previous position has always been to demand their permanent cancellation.

By calling for this year's exercises to be delayed, Pyongyang seemed to indicate that it could live with them actually going ahead -- if Seoul and Washington conceded on the scheduling.

"Depending on whether both sides are looking for progress or want to dig in their heels, this would seem to have opened the way to explore various compromises," Carlin said.

Seoul's initial response has been an unequivocal rejection of any change to the military drills, on the principle that there can be no linkage between them and an essentially humanitarian issue like the family reunions.

That position was echoed on Thursday by visiting US Secretary of State John Kerry, who urged Pyongyang to act with "human decency" and not try to use "one (issue) as an excuse to somehow condition the other".

Kerry left for China on Friday morning following his brief stop in Seoul, where he discussed efforts to curb North Korea's nuclear weapons programme with Park and other officials.

While welcoming the North-South talks in Panmunjom, Kerry stressed that Washington was not ready to accede to Pyongyang's demand that it get involved in direct negotiations.

"We've been through that exercise previously, we want to know that this is real," he said, adding North Korea had to take "meaningful action" towards denuclearisation before a dialogue could begin.

"The US will not accept talks for the sake of talks," he said.

North Korea and its main ally China have both urged a resumption of stalled six-party negotiations on the North's nuclear programme, but South Korea and the US have resisted.

During his visit to China, Kerry indicated that he would push Beijing to do more to rein in Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions.

"China has a unique and critical role it can play... and no country has a greater potential to influence North Korea," he said, praising moves by Beijing last year to help reduce tensions after Pyongyang carried out its third nuclear test.

An analysis of new satellite images posted on the 38 North website Friday showed stepped up excavation activity at the North's main nuclear test site, although there were no signs that any further test was imminent.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn

NEWS VIDEOS

MORE NEWS VIDEOS

facebook recommendations

LIVE NEWS RADIO STREAMING

  • 938 Live

    938LIVE is Singapore's only English news and talk station which transmits round the clock with an engaging and enticing spread of programmes on current affairs, health, business and lifestyle as well as news every half hour until midnight.

  • Capital 958


    95.8FM城市频道的前身是"第三广播网"。上个世纪30年代末,新加坡就有中文广播,一路走来经过不少政治,社会局势的改变,中文广播在本地一直扮演举足轻重的角色。