New Zealand Cricket says skipper McCullum not corrupt
New Zealand batsman Brendon McCullum during a World Twenty20 match at The Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium in Chittagong on March 29, 2014 - by Prakash Singh
NZC said it was "dismayed" that McCullum's testimony to the International Cricket Council (ICC) anti-corruption unit had been leaked to the British media, saying the big-hitting Kiwi skipper was committed to cleaning up the game.
"We can confirm that Brendon is NOT under investigation by the ICC and his testimony has actually been applauded by them," it said in a statement.
"NZC has 100 percent confidence in our captain and his role in tackling corruption."
Britain's Daily Mail reported online Monday that McCullum told investigators he was approached by a "world renowned former cricketer" twice in 2008, first in Kolkata ahead of the inaugural Indian Premier League, then during New Zealand's tour of England later that year.
McCullum reportedly said the former star, player X, whom he described as "a hero who became a friend", offered him up to 107,000 pounds ($180,000) to underperform in matches.
The New Zealander, who gained the national captaincy in late 2012 and this year became the first Kiwi to hit a Test triple century, said he was "shell shocked" at the approach and told investigators he had never fixed a match.
"(X) said that the 'Big Boys' in international cricket were doing it and he didn't want me to miss out," the Mail reported.
"I am sure that he mentioned names to me but I cannot remember, although I seem to think that X mainly mentioned Asian cricketers."
Player X is believed to be the same person who former New Zealand batsman Lou Vincent admitted to the corruption probe that he fixed matches for, it said.
Vincent is believed to have agreed a plea bargain in the hope of avoiding a criminal prosecution for his involvement in and knowledge of spot-fixing in five or more countries between 2008-2012.
Vincent was revealed last December to have been under investigation along with fellow New Zealanders Chris Cairns and Daryl Tuffey over allegations of match-fixing.
He later confirmed he had been approached by bookmakers.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Hamas Wednesday rejected a ceasefire to end 16 days of deadly fighting with Israel unless the blockade on the Gaza Strip is lifted, its chie... More Hamas Wednesday rejected a ceasefire to end 16 days of deadly fighting with Israel unless the blockade on the Gaza Strip is lifted, its chief Khaled Meshaal said in Doha. Duration: 01:31
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:31, Views 22