N. Korea returns six detained S. Koreans
South Korean soldiers (foreground) look toward the North Korean side at the UN truce village on the border of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas, in Panmunjom, South Korea, on September 30, 2013
The handover took place at 4:50pm (0750 GMT) at the Panmunjom truce village where the armistice was signed ending hostilities in the 1950-53 Korean War, the South's Unification Ministry said.
All six were men between the ages of 27 and 67, but their precise identities and the circumstances that led to their detention in the North were unclear.
North Korea also returned the body of a South Korean woman, Yonhap news agency reported.
An official was quoted by the agency as saying that, according to Pyongyang, the woman was the wife of one of the six men, and "was killed by her husband in the North" after a quarrel.
The Unification Ministry, which was only informed Thursday of the North's intention to return the men, said details on the six would be released after they had been questioned.
North Korea said in February 2010 that it was holding four South Koreans who had "illegally entered" the country -- and it is presumed that they are among the six returnees.
Seoul had repeatedly requested the four to be identified and released, but there was no response from Pyongyang.
The surprise return of the six South Koreans would appear to be a conciliatory gesture at a time when North-South ties have been blowing hot and cold.
Tensions soared for months after the North's third nuclear test in February, but then appeared to enter a rapprochement stage that saw the two rivals agree to re-open their joint industrial park in Kaesong.
But the mood quickly soured again when Pyongyang cancelled a scheduled reunion last month for family members separated by the Korean War.
Some heated rhetoric followed, but then earlier this week Pyongyang agreed to a request by South Korean lawmakers to visit Kaesong -- which lies just inside its side of the border -- for an inspection tour.
Border crossings between North and South are extremely rare and it is most likely that the six people returned on Friday had entered North Korea from China.
There has been speculation that they might have been connected to Christian missionary groups who are active in helping North Koreans escape the country.
The six could face criminal charges, as South Korea's National Security Law prohibits its citizens from entering the North without official permission.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Secretary of State John Kerry Tuesday raised doubts if Iran was truly prepared to conclude a final deal with western powers on dismantling i... More Secretary of State John Kerry Tuesday raised doubts if Iran was truly prepared to conclude a final deal with western powers on dismantling its nuclear program, but urged US lawmakers not to impose new sanctions. Duration: 00:40
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:39, Views 0