Myanmar jails two imams for deadly school blaze
Policemen stand guard in front of an Islamic school after a fire broke out at the school, in central Yangon, on April 2, 2013 - by Ye Aung Thu
Around 70 children, some orphans, were sleeping in dormitories at the school inside a mosque complex in Yangon when the blaze broke out in April 2013.
A court in Yangon said in its ruling on Friday that the fire was caused by overheating of an electrical regulator and that the door of the school was locked, according to the New Light of Myanmar newspaper.
The victims died of suffocation when they were unable to escape.
The tragedy fanned religious tensions in the country following a wave of deadly Buddhist-Muslim unrest, but the authorities were quick to rule out arson.
The two defendants plan to launch an appeal, the report said.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Kabul's stray dogs are trapped and poisoned before dying a slow death as the city sparks outrage in its bid to protect residents from diseas... More Kabul's stray dogs are trapped and poisoned before dying a slow death as the city sparks outrage in its bid to protect residents from disease and control its canine population. Duration: 02:38
Date 9 mins ago, Duration 2:38, Views 0