Mumbai building collapse death toll climbs to 60
Indian personnel from the National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) carry a body from the debris of a building collapse site in Mumbai on September 28, 2013
The five-storey block in the city's east, home to 22 families and owned by the municipal authority, came crashing down in a mass of rubble at daybreak on Friday.
"The toll has now risen to 60 and we have now called off the search for more bodies in the debris," Mumbai deputy police commissioner Tanaji Ghadge told AFP by telephone.
He said one person had been arrested over the incident -- which marked the latest building disaster to hit the city and surrounding areas -- without giving further details.
Thirty-three others were rescued alive from the rubble, Alok Avasthy, an official at the National Disaster Response Force told AFP by telephone from the incident site.
But he said the death toll may rise depending on whether victims in hospital succumb to their injuries.
A male survivor in his 40s was the last to be pulled out from under the twisted iron bars and fallen concrete on Saturday afternoon, Avasthy said.
Local media reports quoted police as blaming renovation work by a decorating firm which occupied part of the ground floor for the building's collapse.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
An Indonesian court sentences 14 Rohingya Muslims to nine months in prison over the fatal attack on Myanmar Buddhists at a detention centre ... More An Indonesian court sentences 14 Rohingya Muslims to nine months in prison over the fatal attack on Myanmar Buddhists at a detention centre in the country. Duration: 00:32
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 0:32, Views 13