Match-fixing probe targets New Zealand players
David White CEO of New Zealand Cricket arrives to speak to the media about the International Cricket Council (ICC) investigation into match fixing by past players at University Oval in Dunedin, New Zealand, on December 5, 2013
"It is alleged that a small number of former New Zealand cricketers had engaged in fixing activity," the ICC said in a statement after New Zealand media reports that the probe was targeting three players.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) chief executive David White said he knew the names of the players but would not elaborate.
"We have been aware for a number of months," White said.
"We are shocked and surprised and support the ICC investigation as corruption has no place in our sport."
The ICC's anti-corruption unit has spent four months in New Zealand investigating match and spot fixing, which The New Zealand Herald said took place in more than one country.
Details of the investigation became public in the middle of the first Test between New Zealand and the West Indies in Dunedin, although White said no current players were involved.
The ICC probe did not involve any games played in New Zealand nor any under NZC jurisdiction, he added.
White said the ICC was keeping New Zealand officials informed of progress in their investigation but he had no idea how long it would take to complete.
The ICC statement said as the investigation was ongoing and no-one had been charged with any offence, it would be making no further comment.
"The ICC and all of its members maintain a zero-tolerance attitude towards corruption in the sport, and the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit will continue to collaborate with relevant individuals in order to complete its investigation process," it said.
Former New Zealand bowler Iain O'Brien indicated it was likely New Zealanders had been involved in match fixing.
"If you're surprised that Kiwis are involved in match fixing, you're sadly naive," he tweeted after details of the investigation emerged.
"I highly doubt any players are 100 percent clean."
Earlier this year, NZC dismissed an English newspaper report quoting an Indian bookmaker saying he had been involved in match-fixing with New Zealand players.
"We have complete confidence that the claims made are baseless and have no credibility," White said in a statement at the time.
"The sources are not credible and the accusations are unsubstantiated, making them irresponsible, damaging and untrue."
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
She was the "miracle" seamstress, plucked from the rubble of the world's worst garment factory disaster 17 days after her factory collapsed.... More She was the "miracle" seamstress, plucked from the rubble of the world's worst garment factory disaster 17 days after her factory collapsed. One year on, she has married and found a new job. Duration: 01:14
Date 8 mins ago, Duration 1:14, Views 0