Japan to redesign Antarctic whale hunt after UN court ruling
A Japanese whaling harpoon vessel Yushin Maru No. 2, drags a minke whale in the Southern Ocean, February 15, 2013 in this Sea Shepherd Australia photo - by Glenn Lockitch
"We will carry out extensive studies in cooperation with ministries concerned to submit a new research programme by this autumn to the International Whaling Commission, reflecting the criteria laid out in the verdict," Yoshimasa Hayashi, minister of agriculture, forestry and fisheries, told reporters.
Hayashi, who had met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe earlier in the day, also confirmed an earlier announcement that the 2014-15 hunt in the Southern Ocean would not go ahead.
The UN's International Court of Justice ruled last month that Antarctic whaling breached agreements banning commercial hunts. The ruling does not apply to a separate Japanese mission in the Pacific Ocean.
Hayashi said Japan's "research" programme in the northwestern Pacific, which is due to depart Japanese shores on April 26th, would continue, albeit in a slightly reduced form.
The court ruled that the Japanese mission was catching far too many whales for it to be considered legitimate scientific research.
"We will conduct JARPN II (second phase northwestern Pacific whaling) by reducing its scale... in view of the verdict," the minister said.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
President Barack Obama on Friday met with three Central American leaders to try to get control of an humanitarian crisis triggered by a tide... More President Barack Obama on Friday met with three Central American leaders to try to get control of an humanitarian crisis triggered by a tide of child migrants crossing the southern US border. Duration: 00:53
Date 10 hrs ago, Duration 0:52, Views 110