Former top China provincial leader removed from Party
Security personnel in front of the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on March 13, 2014 - by Goh Chai Hin
Li Chuncheng was described as "morally degenerate" in a statement released by the ruling party's Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) late Tuesday, which also said he was expelled from his "official position".
Such moves are normally a precursor to a criminal inquiry and China's public prosecutor, the Supreme People's Procuratorate, said Wednesday on its website that it had opened an investigation into Li.
The developments appear to signal a further tightening of the noose around Zhou, who as a former member of the elite Politburo Standing Committee was one of China's most powerful politicians of the past decade.
China's Communist chief Xi Jinping has been reported in various media to have given the go-ahead for a corruption investigation into Zhou, who headed the country's internal security apparatus until his retirement in 2012.
Li was promoted to mayor of the Sichuan capital Chengdu when Zhou was party chief of the province from 1999 to 2002.
State media reported in 2012 that Li had been dismissed as Sichuan's deputy party secretary for "serious violations of discipline".
His subsequent removal from government signifies that he no longer continues to receive a salary or benefits that officials enjoy.
The CCDI statement said Li had abused his power, took a huge amount of bribes and used his position to help his brother's business prosper.
It also said he had carried out "superstitious activities", without giving details.
Communist Party authorities have been waging a much-publicised anti-graft campaign since Xi ascended to the leadership 18 months ago.
But critics say no systemic reforms have been introduced to increase transparency to help battle endemic corruption.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Hamas Wednesday rejected a ceasefire to end 16 days of deadly fighting with Israel unless the blockade on the Gaza Strip is lifted, its chie... More Hamas Wednesday rejected a ceasefire to end 16 days of deadly fighting with Israel unless the blockade on the Gaza Strip is lifted, its chief Khaled Meshaal said in Doha. Duration: 01:31
Date 11 mins ago, Duration 1:31, Views 0