Floods in NE China kill more than 80: state media
This picture taken on August 19, 2013 shows a damaged house after floods hit the Qingyuan Manchu autonomous county of Fushun, in northeast China's Liaoning province. More than 80 people have been killed and tens of thousands have fled their homes after the worst floods to hit northeast China in more than a decade, state media said Tuesday.
At least 20 people died in Jilin province and 239,000 residents were evacuated after persistent rain "brought chaos" to 56 counties, Xinhua news agency reported.
Rainstorms have also swept Heilongjiang and Liaoning provinces. A total of 85 people are now confirmed dead in the northeast with 105 missing, Xinhua said.
In Jilin, 585,000 hectares (1.4 million acres) of cropland had been damaged along with thousands of homes, it said, estimating losses at more than 10 billion yuan ($1.6 billion).
The Jilin government has sent 824 tonnes of grain to the disaster areas, Xinhua quoted provincial officials as saying.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
More than 120,000 Ethiopian migrant workers have returned home after being expelled from Saudi Arabia. They had travelled to the Middle East... More More than 120,000 Ethiopian migrant workers have returned home after being expelled from Saudi Arabia. They had travelled to the Middle East to find domestic work and save money for their families.
Date 2 hrs ago, Duration 1:08, Views 10