Updated: 06/13/2014 11:23 | By Agence France-Presse

First damages suit filed over S. Korea ferry disaster

The mother of a student victim of South Korea's ferry disaster has filed a test lawsuit seeking damages from the government and the vessel's owners, a court spokesman said Friday.


First damages suit filed over S. Korea ferry disaster

First damages suit filed over S. Korea ferry disaster, pictured are relatives of victims of the sunken South Korean ferry 'Sewol' staging a sit-in in Seoul on May 9, 2014 - by Jung Yeon-Je

It marks the first litigation move by any relatives of the nearly 300 people killed in the April 16 tragedy which rocked the entire country.

The suit filed with the Seoul Central District Court claims 30 million won ($30,000) in compensation from the government and the Chonghaejin Marine Co., which owned and operated the 6,825-tonne Sewol.

It was filed by the mother of an unidentified student from Danwon High School in Ansan City, south of Seoul.

Of the 476 people on board the 6,825-tonnes  Sewol ferry when it capsized and sank, 325 were students from the Danwon school.

Citing results of initial investigations into  the disaster, the suit said the ferry's stability had been undermined by renovations, and water ballast had been reduced to dangerous levels to make room for more cargo.

"Chonghaejin Marine Co., owner of the Sewol ferry and employer of the crew, was neglectful in safety education and the state was very lax in the management of operation and licensing," it said.

Although the initial claim was for 30 million won, the plaintiff said she could raise the amount to as much as 600 million as more information emerges from the ongoing investigation and trials of the Sewol crew.

As of Friday, the death toll from the disaster stood at 292, with 12 unaccounted for.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn

NEWS VIDEOS

MORE NEWS VIDEOS

facebook recommendations

LIVE NEWS RADIO STREAMING

  • 938 Live

    938LIVE is Singapore's only English news and talk station which transmits round the clock with an engaging and enticing spread of programmes on current affairs, health, business and lifestyle as well as news every half hour until midnight.

  • Capital 958


    95.8FM城市频道的前身是"第三广播网"。上个世纪30年代末,新加坡就有中文广播,一路走来经过不少政治,社会局势的改变,中文广播在本地一直扮演举足轻重的角色。