Fate of UN peacekeepers in Syrian Golan unclear
Members of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) drive their armoured vehicles in the Israeli-annexed Golan Heights near the Quneitra crossing, the only border crossing between Israel and Syria, on August 30, 2014 - by Ahmad Gharabli
An AFP photographer heard intense small arms and missile fire in the buffer zone separating the Israeli-occupied part of the strategic plateau and the Syrian part, where soldiers with the UN Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) are being held.
Irish soldiers with UNDOF, which is responsible for ensuring the maintenance of the armistice line between Israel and Syria, took part in an evacuation of UN troops during Saturday's fighting, the Irish military said in a statement.
"Irish personnel secured a route, provided security as UNDOF troops withdrew from a UN position and escorted them to the Force Headquarters in Camp Faouar" on the Syrian side of the armistice line, the Irish statement said.
The UN confirmed that 32 Filipino troops were brought out.
The group was part of a 72-member contingent situated in two different locations in the area.
Those remaining are currently still under fire, preventing them from being moved out, the UN said in a statement issued from its New York headquarters.
It added that there were no reported casualties among UN personnel.
The Israeli military has cordoned off the area and reinforced its troop presence, an AFP photographer said.
- Awaiting better security -
Several peacekeepers, whose nationality was not clear, were seen hurriedly leaving the area where the fighting is taking place via an Israeli-controlled crossing south of Quneitra.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, UN soldiers said earlier part of the encircled Filipino contingent had been brought out and that others were no longer in rebel hands but awaiting better security conditions so they could enter the Israeli-controlled part of the plateau.
In Manila, Philippines Defence Minister Voltaire Gazmin said earlier Saturday that UN peacekeepers had clashed with Syrian rebels.
Gazmin said in an SMS statement to reporters that the Filipino troops had been "extricated" from one of their two positions but that another group of Filipinos "is now under attack".
The 72-member Filipino contingent was besieged by rebels Thursday but defied demands to give up their weapons.
Rebels, including some linked to Al-Qaeda's Syria affiliate, Al-Nusra Front, also took hostage 44 Fijian peacekeepers, the UN has said.
A UN statement on Friday said the world body "has received assurances from credible sources" that the Fijians "are safe and in good health" although their mission has had no contact with them.
But a senior Fijian military official told reporters in Suva on Saturday that their location was unknown.
"Their whereabouts at this stage, unfortunately, I cannot confirm," Brigadier Mosese Tikoitoga said after speaking to the head of the UN team negotiating for their release.
"They confirmed that our men are safe and they are all well. (But) they have been moved to a location out of the bombardment range of any security forces or the Syrian security forces.
"It is out of the UN territory. But again it's the word of the group. We've got no verification whatsoever, no communication but we're only relaying the message that was delivered to us by the negotiators."
The UN statement issued in New York said "we are still working towards the safe release of the detained 44 Fijian peacekeepers".
There are currently 1,200 peacekeepers serving in UNDOF from the Philippines, Fiji, India, Ireland, Nepal and the Netherlands.
UNDOF has been tasked with monitoring a ceasefire between Syria and Israel since 1974.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Cambodians celebrate Pchum Ben festival, festival for the dead, with buffalo racing and wrestling. Duration: 00:34
Date 1 hr ago, Duration 0:34, Views 9