Ex-Beatle McCartney cancels Japan tour over illness
Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney greets fans upon his arrival at Haneda airport in Tokyo on May 15, 2014 - by Toshifumi Kitamura
He "will regrettably have to cancel the remaining Japanese shows. Paul is still not feeling better and this cancellation is unavoidable," organiser Kyodo Tokyo said in a statement.
The 71-year-old English pop veteran -- one of two living members of the Beatles -- had already cancelled planned performances at the National Stadium Saturday and Sunday, after coming down with an unspecified virus.
He had planned to play a concert at another stadium in Tokyo on Wednesday and the last one in Osaka on Saturday.
He also had planned to play on Monday to make up for the cancelled Saturday show.
"I was really looking forward to playing in Japan again after we had such an amazing time here in November," McCartney was quoted as saying in the statement.
"So, to cancel these shows as well as the National Stadium shows is hugely disappointing for me as well," he said.
"I'd like to thank my Japanese fans for their love, messages of support and understanding.
"I hope to see you all again soon. Love, Paul," he added.
In an earlier tour of Japan in November last year, McCartney was seen singing 39 songs non-stop without retreating backstage.
Organisers said they were exploring "all possibilities" to reschedule the four-date tour.
The musician flew into Tokyo after a short rest at home in London following a strenuous South American tour.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Lady Gaga appeared in Brussels on Monday with singer Tony Bennett to promote their collaborative Jazz album 'Cheek to Cheek.' Duration: 01:06
Date 6 hrs ago, Duration 1:06, Views 66