Chinese media slam Malaysia handling of missing flight
A woman thought to be a relative of a passenger of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight cries at a hotel in Beijing on March 9, 2014 - by Wang Zhao
Nearly two-thirds of the 239 people aboard MH370 were from China, and if the loss of the aircraft is confirmed, it would be China's second-worst air disaster in history.
Investigations have been launched into suspect passengers after officials said two Europeans whose names were on the passenger manifest -- who both had their passports stolen in Thailand -- were not on board.
"The Malaysian side cannot shirk its responsibilities," the Global Times newspaper, which is close to the ruling Chinese Communist Party, wrote in a scathing editorial. "The initial response from Malaysia was not swift enough.
"There are loopholes in the work of Malaysia Airlines and security authorities," it said.
"If it is due to a deadly mechanical breakdown or pilot error, then Malaysia Airlines should take the blame. If this is a terrorist attack, then the security check at the Kuala Lumpur airport and on the flight is questionable."
The China Daily newspaper wrote in an editorial that "terrorism cannot be ruled out", with Malaysian and international authorities still at a loss to explain how at least two passengers were able to board with stolen Italian and Austrian passports.
"Who were they and why were they using false passports?" the paper asked.
"The fact that some of the passengers on board were travelling with false passports should serve as a reminder to the whole world that security can never be too tight, at airports in particular, since terrorism, the evil of the world, is still trying to stain human civilisation with the blood of innocent lives," it added.
Malaysia's Home Minister Zahid Hamidi reportedly said Monday that the two passengers using stolen passports appeared to be ethnically Asian.
"I am still puzzled how come (immigration officers) cannot think: an Italian and Austrian but with Asian facial features," he was quoted as saying by Malaysia's national news agency Bernama.
Beijing sent a working group to Malaysia Monday, the official Xinhua news agency said, including officials from the foreign, public security and transport ministries, tasked with investigating the incident and helping passengers' family members in Malaysia.
The aircraft's disappearance came one week after a deadly attack at a train station in the southwestern Chinese city of Kunming, in which a group of knife-wielding assailants killed 29 people and wounded 143.
Both Beijing and Washington have condemned the mass stabbing as an act of terror, and Chinese authorities stepped up security checks in the days after the attack, which they blamed on separatists from the restive far western region of Xinjiang.
The Global Times noted that China has the world's greatest number of outbound travellers, with Malaysia a popular destination. A total of nearly 100 million Chinese tourists visited foreign countries last year, up 14 million from the previous year.
"We pay special attention to the security situation of countries where the Chinese people are keen to travel," the paper wrote, adding that the incident "must be investigated thoroughly and the crux of problems on the Malaysian side must be found out".
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
O primeiro-ministro do Lesoto, Thomas Thabane, afirmou neste sábado que fugiu do país para escapar de um golpe de Estado militar. O exército... More O primeiro-ministro do Lesoto, Thomas Thabane, afirmou neste sábado que fugiu do país para escapar de um golpe de Estado militar. O exército nega ter tentado derrubar o governo desta nação pobre do sul da África.
Date 36 mins ago, Duration 1:19, Views 0