Boy, 12, snatched by crocodile in Australia
An estuarine crocodile better known as the saltwater or saltie, lies in the sun on the banks of the Adelaide river near Darwin in Australia's Northern Territory on September 2, 2008 - by Greg Wood
The boy was swimming with friends in the Mudginberri Billabong in Kakadu National Park on Sunday afternoon when the group were attacked. One other boy suffered bite wounds as he tried to fight the creature off.
"It is believed the 12-year-old boy was taken by a crocodile as he and a number of other young boys were swimming in the billabong," said acting police commander Michael White.
"One other boy, also aged 12, was bitten on the arm by the crocodile and has received medical treatment from attending St John Ambulance members."
Aerial, land and boat searches in and around Magela Creek, which feeds the billabong or waterhole, continued throughout the night but there was no sign of the boy.
Searchers have been issued shoot-to-kill orders for any creature longer than three metres (10 feet) sighted in the area of Mudginberri Outstation, which is about 200 kilometres (124 miles) east of Darwin.
Two crocodiles were shot, but it was found they had not ingested any human remains.
Saltwater crocodiles can grow up to seven metres long, weigh more than a tonne, and are a common feature of Australia's tropical north.
Their numbers have increased steadily since the introduction of protection laws in 1971, with government estimates putting the population at between 75,000-100,000.
The most recent fatality was in August last year, when a man was taken by a 4.7-metre croc as he swam across the Mary River.
Parks officials said the Magela Creek area was well signposted as a crocodile danger zone.
"We have big croc warning signs with croc jaws and a big thing saying 'croc risk; do not swim here, do not enter'," a spokeswoman said.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
Israel mobilised 16,000 additional reservists on Thursday to bolster its forces waging military operations in the Gaza Strip that left more ... More Israel mobilised 16,000 additional reservists on Thursday to bolster its forces waging military operations in the Gaza Strip that left more than 100 Palestinians dead in a day. Duration: 00:36
Date 3 hrs ago, Duration 0:36, Views 50