Australia police drop Corby proceeds of crime probe
Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby is escorted by prison security guards to the prosecutors office following her release from Kerobokan prison in Denpasar in Bali after more than nine years behind bars, February 10, 2014 - by Bay Ismoyo
Officers last month raided media firm Channel Seven amid intense speculation that the network was working on a lucrative deal with Corby, 36, for her first interview since being released from prison in Bali.
The broadcaster denied any deal and under pressure from Indonesian authorities who warned it would breach her parole conditions, it never happened.
The television channel instead aired an interview with her sister Mercedes, which included candid footage of Corby in the first moments back with her family.
Even this sparked outrage in Indonesia after Mercedes suggested her sister had been set up, with senior officials threatening to revoke Corby's parole.
The Australian Federal Police said their investigation had ended because Indonesian authorities have stated publicly that any paid interview could land her back in jail.
"In recent weeks, Indonesian authorities have clearly outlined that any such interview would be in breach of Ms Corby's parole conditions and could result in her parole being revoked," police said in a statement.
"Any possibility of an agreement has now been superseded by these additional parole conditions. This decision does not mean that the original concerns that initiated the investigation were not well founded."
Under Australia's proceeds of crime legislation, convicted criminals cannot benefit financially from their notoriety.
Corby was arrested in 2004 at Bali's main airport with 4.1 kilograms (nine pounds) of marijuana in her surf gear, and subsequently jailed for 20 years.
She has always proclaimed her innocence and the case has riveted Australians and generated significant sympathy in her home country.
The end of her sentence was brought forward to 2016 for good behaviour. She was released on parole last month but must remain in Indonesia until 2017.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 1,500 people across West Africa spread to a fifth country in the region on Friday with the firs... More The Ebola epidemic that has killed more than 1,500 people across West Africa spread to a fifth country in the region on Friday with the first confirmed case of the deadly virus in Senegal. Duration: 00:39
Date 7 hrs ago, Duration 0:39, Views 93