Aussie paceman Harris out for up to 8 weeks
Australia's Ryan Harris (left) takes England's Alastair Cook's wicket for 25 runs during the fifth Ashes test, August 23, 2013. Harris faces a race to be fit for the return Ashes series opener against England after being ruled out for up to eight weeks with a hamstring injury, Cricket Australia said Thursday.
Harris, Australia's leading wicket-taker in the recent 3-0 Ashes series loss in England, had the injury assessed after arriving back home in Brisbane on Thursday.
Harris suffered the injury to his right hamstring during last weekend's drawn fifth Test at The Oval in London.
The fast bowler had been hopeful he would be declared fit to fly out for India in a fortnight for the Champions League Twenty20 tournament.
However a CA statement said scans had ruled him out for six to eight weeks, which could mean a return in late October. The first Ashes Test, at Brisbane's Gabba ground, starts on November 21.
The 33-year-old's injury-prone body had held together for four straight Tests in the recent series in England for the first time in his stop-start career as he took 24 wickets at 19.58 to be his team's player of the series.
Harris, who has never played a Test at his home Gabba ground, has been plagued by a series of injuries including a chronic knee problem that will be with him until he retires.
He has taken 71 wickets in 16 Tests at 22.26 since his debut against New Zealand in Wellington in March 2010.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
The Gulf Cooperation Council hailed the "new orientation" of Iran's leadership and urged that "concrete measures" towards regional peace fo... More The Gulf Cooperation Council hailed the "new orientation" of Iran's leadership and urged that "concrete measures" towards regional peace follow. Duration: 00:50
Date 10 mins ago, Duration 0:49, Views 0