Updated: 06/21/2014 17:54 | By Agence France-Presse

All Blacks on brink of history after crushing England

The All Blacks crushed England 36-13 at Waikato Stadium on Saturday to sweep their three-Test series and equal the world record of 17 consecutive Test wins. 

All Blacks on brink of history after crushing England

New Zealand All Blacks Malakai Fekitoa is tackled by the English defence during the third rugby union test match in Hamilton on June 21, 2014 - by Michael Bradley

New Zealand scored five tries, three by blockbusting wing Julian Savea, as they significantly stepped up the intensity and accuracy from their 20-15 and 28-27 victories in the first two Tests. 

They raced to a 29-6 at half-time in a very lop-sided 40 minutes, and although England attacked more effectively with their big centres in the second half, they were restricted to only one try.

Such was the control the All Blacks had that when the final hooter went with them in possession, they kept the game going for another two minutes until Savea scored his final try.

New Zealand now head into the Rugby Championship with 17 consecutive wins, matching the record of the 1965-69 All Blacks and the 1997-98 Springboks. 

It was the All Blacks decision to resist testing too many new combinations in the Hamilton dead rubber that paid dividends as they put together their most fluid performance of the series. 

Twelve of the starting 15 played every match, while England changed five for the second Test and seven for the third. The unfamiliarity of combinations showed. 

They made a poor start when a Freddie Burns kick-off did not go 10 metres, and little improved from there as they suffered their worst defeat on the tour, which they had undertaken with a squad of 46 and hopes of at least one Test victory. 

Instead, they leave winless, yielding first-half leads in the first two Tests and never getting near the front in the third. 

- Strong start -

The All Blacks put a string of poor starts behind them as they stretched England across the park in the third Test Saturday, with Savea scoring twice in the first eight minutes.

Aaron Smith added two more tries and Aaron Cruden three conversions to have New Zealand up 29-6 at half-time. 

The All Blacks were keen to attack down the left flank in the opening quarter, where Savea scored both his tries as England wing Chris Ashton kept drifting infield.

Smith's tries were from handy support play, first receiving off Cory Jane who had glided past Marlon Yarde, and then from Ben Smith.

England rallied immediately after half-time, when the blockbusting pair of Manu Tuilagi and Yarde stormed up to the line with All Blacks defenders hanging helplessly off them. Left wing Yarde was credited with the try. 

Yarde went close again as England maintained pressure on the All Blacks line, but the revival burnt out after 10 minutes allowing New Zealand to head back to more familiar territory at the England end.

With their confidence up, and holding a 29-13 lead, the All Blacks traded a kickable penalty for a line-out -- but their attempt to drive over the line was snuffed out, and they were not to score again until Savea touched down in injury time. 

The All Blacks' chance to take the record consecutive wins outright comes in their next Test against Australia in Sydney on August 16.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn



facebook recommendations


  • 938 Live

    938LIVE is Singapore's only English news and talk station which transmits round the clock with an engaging and enticing spread of programmes on current affairs, health, business and lifestyle as well as news every half hour until midnight.

  • Capital 958