20 Pakistan soldiers killed as bomb hits military convoy
Pakistani soldiers and policemen cordon off the area after a bomb attack on a security convoy in the city of Bannu on January 19, 2014 - by Karim Ullah
The attack, one of the deadliest to hit Pakistani security forces in recent years, happened in the city of Bannu near the North Waziristan tribal region which is a stronghold of militants linked to the Taliban and Al-Qaeda.
"A vehicle-borne improvised explosive device caused the blast," a senior military official told AFP, adding the exact circumstances were unclear.
An official statement said 20 soldiers were killed and 30 injured in the attack, which hit one of the vehicles in the convoy at 8:45 am.
The convoy was about to leave for the town of Razmak in North Waziristan when the blast hit one of the civilian vehicles hired to move troops.
Taliban 'ready for talks'
Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Shahidullah Shahid claimed responsibility.
"It was part of our fight against a secular system," he said by telephone from an undisclosed location.
"We will carry out more such attacks in future," he said, adding the Taliban were seeking revenge for the deaths of their former chief Hakimullah Mehsud and deputy Waliur Rehman -- both killed in US drone attacks.
The Taliban vowed they would not engage in any dialogue with the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif following the death of Mehsud.
But Shahid told AFP Sunday the group "is ready for meaningful negotiations despite facing huge leadership losses, if the government proves its authority and sincerity" by halting drone attacks and withdrawing troops from tribal areas.
Taliban insurgents have led a bloody campaign against the Pakistani state since 2007, staging hundreds of attacks on security forces and government targets.
Bannu was the scene of a jailbreak last April when some 150 heavily-armed Islamists stormed a prison and freed 400 inmates including many militants.
An eyewitness told AFP by telephone the vehicle hit by Sunday's bomb was transformed into scorched metal.
"I collected human remains including hands and legs from the site after the attack," he said on condition of anonymity.
Body parts and soldiers' personal belongings littered the scene.
President Mamnoon Hussain condemned the attack, according to a statement by his office.
"Such cowardly attacks can never weaken the resolve of our law-enforcing authorities and the nation to continue pursuing their struggle against the scourge of militancy and terrorism," the statement said.
Pakistani troops have for years been battling the Taliban and other homegrown insurgents in the tribal belt next to the Afghan border, which Washington considers the main hub of militants plotting attacks on the West and in Afghanistan.
The army's headquarters in Rawalpindi came under attack in 2009, while major naval and air force bases have also been targeted in battles that have lasted for several hours.
A senior Pakistani general was killed in a blast last September along with two other soldiers in an attack claimed by the Taliban.
In May 2011 89 paramilitary troops were killed in an attack at a military academy in the northwestern town of Charsadda.
Talat Masood, a retired general and security analyst, said recent assaults on the army were "testing the patience of the military" and were "extremely demoralising".
The civilian government led by Sharif, who came to power after elections last year, has said it is seeking talks with the Taliban.
But so far little progress has been seen and terror attacks rose 20 percent in 2013 according to the independent Pakistan Institute for Peace Studies.
Masood said the government's policy was creating frustration within the army.
"It is becoming so evident to people that the government is so ineffective and paralysed and has no policy or strategy, while the army's hands are tied and it is being targeted and not being allowed to take action."
Pakistan, which joined the US-led "war on terror" in 2001, says more than 40,000 people have been killed in the country since then by militants who oppose Islamabad's US alliance.
MORE REGIONAL NEWS
Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn
O primeiro-ministro do Lesoto, Thomas Thabane, afirmou neste sábado que fugiu do país para escapar de um golpe de Estado militar. O exército... More O primeiro-ministro do Lesoto, Thomas Thabane, afirmou neste sábado que fugiu do país para escapar de um golpe de Estado militar. O exército nega ter tentado derrubar o governo desta nação pobre do sul da África.
Date 9 hrs ago, Duration 1:19, Views 82