28 January 2013 10:30 | By Ng Jie Ying, MSN News
PHOTOS: Nightclub fire kills hundreds in Brazil

At least 233 people were killed in the nightclub fire in southern Brazil on Sunday after a band's pyrotechnics show set the place ablaze



Newscom/RTR (© STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTR)
Next
Previous
Previous
  • Newscom/RTR (© STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTR)
  • Newscom/RTR (© STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTR)
  • Getty Images (© Germano Roratto/AFP/Getty Images)
  • Newscom/RTR (© STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTR)
  • REX FEATURE (© JULIANO MENDES/CHINE NOUV/SIPA/)
  • Newscom/RTR (© STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTR)
  • Newscom/RTR (© STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTR)
  • Rex Features (© JULIANO MENDES/CHINE NOUV/SIPA/Rex Features)
Next
STRINGER/BRAZIL/Newscom/RTRShow Thumbnails
Previous1 of 12Next
Share this Gallery

A fire broke out in a nightclub in the university town of Santa Maria, southern Brazil, killing at least 233 people according to Reuters, on Sunday, 27 January, 2013.

The fire broke out when the ceiling caught fire from the pyrotechnics sets used for the performing band went out of control. Within seconds, the nightclub was engulfed by fire and panicked partygoers were choking on fumes, people started fleeing towards crowded exits, resulting in a dangerous stampede.

Many died from the poisonous gas produced by the fire and the stampede. Dead bodies blocked the single exit and the rescue team had to use axes and sledgehammers to pound the windows in order to free the people trapped in the burning nightclub.  

A local gymnasium was turned into a makeshift morgue to house the bodies of the victims where identification process was carried out. Male victims were easier to identify as compared to females victims who had lost their purses when the tragedy happened.  

According to Federal Health Minister Alexandre Padhilha, most people were treated for gas poisoning in hospitals and only a few suffered from serious burns.  

Click on to see pictures of the accident.

Latest Photo Galleries on xinmsn